Chris Hemsworth was born on August 11,1983 in Melbourne, Australia. He is the middle of three boys; Luke (older) and Liam (younger) are both actors.
Chris first gained public attention when he played Kim Hyde on the Australian soap opera Home and Away from 2004 until 2007. He originally auditioned for the role of Robbie Hunter, but he was turned down by the Home and Away producers and the role went to Jason Smith. Of joining Home and Away, Hemsworth said “The role in Home and Away is consistent work for me and is a great experience. It is so fast-paced and basically it allows me to learn a lot a lot about the industry.” He left the show in 2007 to focus on his film career.
Chris is probably best known for his role as the Marvel Comics superhero Thor in the 2011 Marvel Studios film Thor. He reprised the role in the 2012 film The Avengers. (A sequel, The Avengers 2, is in development for release possibly in 2015). And you will be able to see him in the sequel Thor 2, set to start filming in August 2012. Thor has a great cast that consists of Natalie Portman as Jane Foster, Tom Hiddleston as Loki, Anthony Hopkins as Odin, Stellan Skarsgård as Dr. Erik Selvig and Idris Elba as Heimdall.
Now playing in theaters as of July 2012 Chris can be seen starring opposite Kristen Stewart who you all probably know as Bella Swan in The Twilight Saga) in the film Snow White & the Huntsman as the Huntsman. Synopsis: In a twist to the fairy tale, the Huntsman ordered to take Snow White (Kristen Stewart) into the woods to be killed winds up becoming her protector and mentor in a quest to vanquish the Evil Queen, Ravenna (portrayed by Charlize Theron).
Chris is married to Elsa Pataky and they have a daughter named India Rose Hemsworth who was born on May 11, 2012.
He is set to star in Ron Howard’s 2013 film Rush which is about Formula 1 racer, Niki Lauda and what happens to his life after a 1976 crash that almost takes his life. It will also star Olivia Wilde as Suzy Miller, Natalie Dormer as Gemma, Daniel Brühl as Niki Lauda, Alexandra Maria Lara as Marlene Knaus, Pierfrancesco Favino as Clay Regazzoni and Christian McKay as Alexander Hesketh.
Chris Hemsworth as “Thor” Tidbits:
-He had to increase and expand his dietary/food intake in order to maintain the physique he built up for Thor (2011).
– He has had prior experience with wielding a hammer in Thor, having worked as a builder in Australia for a few years.
– According to Chris, the action coordinators experimented with different combat styles, but ultimately the fighting technique Thor utilizes is an original one, based on boxing: stance low to the ground, with big powerful hip movements.
– To prepare for the role of Thor, Chris Hemsworth put on a massive amount of build and weight, through a six-month regime of trips to the gym and indulging in a massive diet of eggs, chicken, sandwiches, vegetables, brown rice, steak and protein drinks.
– The final choice for the role of Thor came down to brothers Chris Hemsworth and Liam Hemsworth. Chris found it funny: “We both came all the way over here from Australia and ended up battling against each other.” He however bore no ill-will towards Liam, claiming he was rooting for him to get the role.
More Chris Hemsworth Tidbits:
– His best friend is Sam Perry.
-His favorite flicks are The Neverending Story, The Princess Bride, and Labyrinth.
-He didn’t grow up reading comics. “As a kid,” he said, “I was more into surfing magazines.” He remembers tearing pages out of his beloved surfing glossies and sticking them on the wall of his room.
-On his off time Chris likes to surf and read.
– If he wasn’t an actor he would have become a writer or a director.
– Chris’ childhood nickname is Kip, because when he tried to say his name it came out as ‘Kiptader’.
– Chris lists his secret TV addiction as Degrassi Junior High.
– Kramer from Seinfeld is his favourite television character.
– Some of his favourite music includes Jeff Buckley, Radiohead, David Gray and The Pharcyde.
– While pursuing film courses, Chris worked in several casual jobs: as a horticultural labourer, as a waiter, as a barman and also in a surf-wear shop.
– Chris dated his Home and Away co-star Isabel Lucas who played Tasha Andrews.
-In 2009, he played James T. Kirk’s father in J.J. Abrams’ blockbuster Star Trek.
A personal quote of Chris’s: I love the adventure that comes with this work, the travel and all that. But also the craft, the storytelling. From a kid, I remember enjoying certain books and getting swept away in movies.
Well, now we are being swept away with his fine acting and not to mention gorgeous body, thanks Chris for gracing us with your presence!
If you have some extra time have a look in my Store at Naturesjoy’s Celebrity Clippings & Pinups where you will find a selection of various Celebrity clippings and pinups for sale.